Hounslow Academy in West London has opened its doors to university students. And why not? The private tutors who work there are themselves all university graduates, so it makes sense. As you can imagine, this provides several benefits for any university student electing to work with a private tutor:
- As all of the tutors are graduates themselves, there is an understanding of how university life works – all the problems that a student is likely to come across and how to provide solutions and strategies to manage those issues. Hints and tips on the practical elements of writing essays, time management, and other handy subjects are at hand when you have a private tutor.
- All of the tutors are specialists in their areas and subjects, possessing either a degree or MSc in their chosen subject – some of them are even completing PhDs! This means that they can be trusted to provide confident teaching and support in the right places. They also know the most beneficial areas to target and provide extra support for.
- All of the tutors only teach perhaps one or two subjects, so they are not overstretched and can focus on sharing their knowledge with their students.
- Tutoring is bespoke to the individual or group. A tutor will talk to a student and get a feel for the best plan to achieve their goals. They will then work with them to implement the plan and take it forward. A tutor will cater to the student’s needs and wants in regards to their learning.
- As the tutors themselves have extensive knowledge of their subject, students often acquire knowledge that would not have been available to them in their classroom environments. This, in turn, makes for better long-term results and more interesting learning.
- Different techniques can be used to suit the day-to-day activities of the university student. It is a busy time, and perhaps a one-on-one tutorial is not appropriate. At Hounslow, the student has the option of one-on-one time, group tutorials, or online learning. It can fit in with student living and still provide the support needed.
All in all, having a private tutor to see a student through part or all of their university days can only enhance the experience and make life easier. Life is always simpler when you feel like you have a support base. At Hounslow Academy, knowledge is very happily shared, and support is given to university students as well as GCSE and A-level students. Private tutoring has, indeed, evolved.